I started out wanting to drill a hole in the clutch and put a brake spring in there. Unfortunately when I would back pedal It would tighten down, so I couldn’t use it.
Next, I cut up a piece of aluminum and bent it around into a sort of Q. I then slotted the hub with a saws-all. They fit together well and worked well too. It has an odd sort of sound if you listen closely, but I am sure that can be fixed by using different thickness’ and designs of the spring. It is so much smoother though.
Here are the internals with the old springs on the left, and the failed brake spring on the right of the clutch.
Here is the new spring covered in grease